It was Veteran's Day a couple weeks ago. A day to pay tribute to men and women that have served our country. When I think of veterans, I picture the old guy driving the caddie with the veteran plates. I then started thinking about wars an realized the first Gulf War occurred when I was in high school and now we are in current state of combat. I kept thinking that there are very young kids over there seeing things and experiencing things I could never even imagine. They are just babies, yikes. Then I thought about my friend whose daughter is serving there now. This will be her daughters unit's second year there, away from their homes and families.
I emailed my friend and said to her I would like to send her daughter and unit because of all they are giving up by serving our country, she said that was great. I emailed numerous friends and the response was overwhelming. We sent 6 large boxes full of homemade cookies, games, cards, Santa hats and stockings, tons of treats and snacks, books, magazines, tooth brushes, lotions, brushes, cold packs and the list goes on.
I hope they get the packages in time for the holidays and can enjoy. It makes me sad to think of so many young people so far away. I know when I was that age I was in no position to make such decisions with my life.
I wish them all well and happy holidays.
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I know they will appreciate it. I think it was a really nice thing to do. I forget that we can ask our aquaintances for ways in...I should do that, too. My good friend's son and his wife were both deployed to Bahgdad at this time last year. It was such a relief to her when they came home.
From everything I have heard about Vietnam, it seems like it was ever present in people's minds, they watched the news every night to find out more. I think that in our current state, we just flip over to a sitcom, because "more" is so painful. We are so unaware of being at war.
Post a Comment