So one of my goals this year was to cook better meals for the family and to cut costs while doing so.
I work long hours and and my commute takes quite a bit of my time so I wanted to be able to utilize the slow cooker and get rid of those canned soups. I am happy to say I had a very successful week.
Success #1
Monday I cooked Peking Pork Chops and they were quite yummy, instead of rice I made couscous using chicken broth. I had leftover pork chops from this dinner and was able to make Pot Stickers. I can't get over how good these were. I am never going to another Chinese restaurant again. I had saved the sauce from the Peking Pork Chops and reduced it for dipping the Pot Stickers. Also I took the pork chops and put them and the veggies into a food processor then made the won tons. Very simple!! I was able to make three meals (pot stickers were enough for two meals) for all under $10.
Success #2
Friday I had a 5 pound whole chicken and put it into the slow cooker with one chopped onion and a few carrots, seasoned with pepper and added 1 cup of chicken broth, threw it on low and let it go. By dinner time I had a delicious cooked chicken and chicken broth for soup (I'm going to freeze for another day). I have enough chicken leftover that I will make a great Chicken Pot Pie. I know I'll have enough leftovers for another meal or lunch. Another 3-4 meals for under $10.
Edit- I was bale to make two chicken pot pies and Brian and I would get 3 meals from them each so we actually had 7 meals for under $10.
Disclaimer-These amounts pertain only to the two adults in our house. Neither of my children will eat anything I make unless it's grilled cheese or alphabet soup.
Saturday, January 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
just getting around to my commenting, sorry. I liked this post alot, I've been trying to find ways to tighten up the budget, too. And I have to buy all sorts of deconstructed foods for Lindsey, she won't eat what I make either...
Post a Comment