Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Jimmy Fund Walk
I got an email today to tell me that it was time to start coordinating my team for the Jimmy Fund Walk.
The Jimmy Fund provides compassionate care while continuing its research to improve the chances of survival for cancer patients worldwide.
This will be the third year that I participate in the walk. Last year two weeks before the walk I had lunch with a friend who had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and was told his cancer was inoperable and only had a few months. His diagnosis was almost 6 years ago, he's now married and expecting his first child any day now. He was a patient at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute which is supported by the funds raised by the Jimmy Fund. If it wasn't for the research done I wouldn't have had lunch with him and he wouldn't be anxiously waiting for his first child.
The death of my father to prostate cancer is what prompted me to get involved with an organization that did research and provided patients and their families with an environment of great caring. His initial prognosis was 6 months, he passed away almost exactly 3 years after his diagnosis. If it had not been for cancer research my father would not have meet three of his grandsons along with spending summers on the beach with our family, and so many other events that occurred in those three years. that's why I chose to support the Jimmy Fund and Dana Farber Cancer Institute.
Another reason I chose the Jimmy Fund Walk was as I was looking for something to do with all the energy after my Dad died I had and decided to use it to do some good. My friend Mel and I started looking up different causes, I came across the Jimmy Fund Walk. It really struck me because it was on my Dad's birthday (see all the signs around us). I looked into the Jimmy Fund and what the organization does and knew it was the prefect fit. Below is a picture of the sign at the walk I wrote on in tribute to him for his birthday.
Please help support cancer research and the institutions that provide comfort to patients and families. Cancer is not an individual illness, it impacts the lives of everyone.
Please take a peak at my website: http://www.jimmyfundwalk.org/sarahberube. If you can make a donation every dollar makes a difference.
If you or anyone you know are in the Boston area and want to join my team or even become a virtual team member of the Pop Walk Team join up!!
Feel free to pass this on to anyone else who will want to help conquer cancer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I can't think of a better way to channel grief into something positive and concretely helpful to everyone who has to face cancer. Good luck with your fundraising goal. I am glad your father had three precious years with you and your children.
Thanks so much for the kind words. :)
Post a Comment