
So about once a quarter my childhood girlfriends and I get together. We try to have one "big" adventure once a year. About 1 year ago we went to NYC for a Food Tour. We took the train from New Haven to Grand Central. We had the most incredible day. Lots of good food, shopping for food and really incredible friends. It was a 3 hour tour. The 3 hour tour should have been our first hint that this was not going to be a perfect day.
It was the end of the day and we were pretty tired, so we hailed a cab a headed back to Grand Central to catch a train back to CT. I know that it is expected to have an insane drive in any cab and especially a NYC cab but this was by far the most insane ride I have ever had.
We somehow ended back at the train got out of the cab and kissed the ground.
We head to the train and get into the end train because we are just to tired to walk anymore. The conductor is a trip, he's singing, dancing and just seems like an all around nice guy. So he has us all laughing and we realize we are just having a fantastic time!!
The train leaves the station and there are me, my 3 friends, an older gentleman going to work in New Haven, another man with his guitar going there to see his daughter and a teenage couple probably about 16years old.
We are sitting and enjoying the ride some of us trying to take a quick nap. All of a sudden there is the most horrid smell I have ever smelled and our happy go lucky conductor comes running to the back. He is no longer joking and looks as pale as a ghost. The train has stopped.
Sitting in the car in front of us our two very young naval crew. They can't be more than 18. They stand up and follow the conductor. He hands them flashlights and they all leave the train.
Now remember we are at the very back of the train.
After they left the train they must have gone up front and a few minutes later we can see the flashlights at the back of the train. There are now police and state troopers all over the place by this time. They were fairly far back but I could see them covering something. We realize what has happened, a person was struck by the train. What a deep sinking feel I had when I realized what really happened, between the smell and watching them cover. It was just sickening.
The navy guys get back on the train and go to seat in their seats. All of a sudden Miss Connecticut appears and asks these boys if she could get her picture with them and whips out her sash. Talk about surreal.
By this point we have started talking with the people in our car. The guy with the guitar has been in this situation before and was stuck on a train for quite some time. The other guy is the coroner and realizes he'll be seeing this when he gets to work. The kids have moved up because we wouldn't let them look out the window.
About 2 hours later they are able to bring another train along and allowed to board it to get back to New Haven.
We found out later that it was a woman who was hit and that she had committed suicide. I feel so very sad for her and her family to get to a point like that.
It was definitely an experience I will never forget. Something like that really puts things in perspective.
And to top it all off a few months later I'm at a country fair and Miss Connecticut is there giving a "speech".
3 comments:
what a coincidence you had a coroner on the train with you...lots of stuff going on in that story. Human behavior is a strange study. more positively, when is the next girls day out?
It was bizarre, I felt like I was in a Twin Peaks episode.
Next girls day is two weeks!!
"Surreal" seems like a mild word.
What a weird trip.
Post a Comment