Monday, July 13, 2009

Unbelievable

I'm fortunate enough that I can work from home two days a week. I have the two boys home with me since summer has stated. they get to play outside most of the day while I watch them and get my work done. It works out quite nicely and all are happy!!

Today we had a great day. They played on the playscape coloring it with chalk and I worked in the kitchen while watching my two love bugs. I made grill cheese sandwiches and we had a picnic outside drinking lemonade and eating our sandwiches, lazily watching the clouds go by. This was followed by some serious swinging on the swings. What a beautiful and relaxing day. They cleaned up the yard and came in for naps and a movie.

After naps we got ready to go for swim lessons with a quick trip to the library to find books on jet planes.

On the way to the library I notice at the center of town the road to the left is closed by the state troopers. I figure there must have been a tree down (lots of rain) or a bad accident. I wasn't going that way so thought very little about it. I get to the library and the parking lot is empty. I figure it's a Monday afternoon so there's nothing to it. I get my two small children out of my car and walk up to the library door. It's locked with a sign that says closed due to an emergency. It's a small town library with limited staff so I figure somebody most have gotten sick. I think to myself I hope they will be well. I let the boys play around a bit on the benches and poke slowly back to the car since we are now early for the lessons. While we are being silly outside two people stop by and try to get in. The librarian opens the door to them and turns them away. The hurriedly go back to thier cars looking at me and my boys but not a word is said to us.

I finally gather my brood back into the car and start towards the swim lessons. The roads still blocked but doesn't impeded our progress. All the major buildings in our towm are pretty much in walking distance, that is the town hall, library, post office, school and bank. I drive by the bank and it's completely roped off with numerous state trooper cars and I finally notice the helicopters and planes flying overhead.

Here's were I completely lose my cool. Apparently there was a bank robbery and the freakin suspect ran away on foot. The town was on lock down. I mean come on. I'm a resident with two small children and no one said a word to me that my family was in danger??????????????

I'm fuming. I want to start making calls and don't know who to. Brian doesn't see it as anything big. Really???????????????? What was wrong with that librarian? Yes, my youngest did once tear apart the children section but is that anyreason not to warn us??

Seriously, how unbelievable is that??????????

2 comments:

Jennifer W said...

I was right with you, thinking "why didn't anyone say something to them? You are right, that was unbelievable.

That must have been really unnerving. Glad you didn't have any run ins.

Sarah said...

Found out the suspect was caught later in the vening not far from where I was with the boys. I still think a warning should have gone out or at least a trooper blocking the public buildings.