Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Long Time, No Blog - Part 1

It's been a long time since my last blog, lol, I feel like I'm going to confession.

The past few months have been pretty insane. Since Brian lost his job last December our life has been a roller coaster. (Note: Not blaming him just explaining the timing. It actually worked out great he lost his old job and has a great new job!) But since he lost his job we had to change preschools for the boys which turned into a nightmare for my oldest. Thankfully the teachers at the school were very patient and wanted to help him. His brother did great but is much younger as well as more adaptable. His teachers suggested we contact the public school system to have him evaluated. We did and was told we suck at parenting, read a book and try again next fall. Fan-freakin-tastic. Well we didn't take that for an answer and found someone to evaluate him on our dime. Boy am I glad I did, we finally got what is going on. He definitely has ADHD, anxiety and has a very high IQ. Of course looking into this I find that combo has a high tendency towards drugs, ugh, I can now never ever let him out of my sight. He'll be 30 and I'll be following him around. I can't even let him go to college because I know what goes on there.

Now we know this what the heck do we do with all this information?? The school social worker wants to meet with him but that was a month ago, the child will be in college by the time they ever meet. We decided to once again find our own answer and therapist. Of course insurance won't pay but it has to be done. I really really don't want to medicate him so we need to try everything we can to help him now. Our main focus is to help with the anxiety, I think once that is under control the rest should fall into place but with a lot of hard work on all sides. He knows something is going on and I really think he's willing to give the ideas a try. I hope we can give him the right tools now to cope in his life later.

He's doing great in kindergarten and has already finished their curriculum. Thankfully his teacher gets him and is pushing him to go further not just extra busy work! He loves writing in his journal and is making up his own adventure stories. He loves school and loves sports (soccer, basketball and swimming, not all at one time). I'm so proud of him!!

to be continued........

1 comment:

Jennifer W said...

oh, this is hard stuff. You're lucky you understand (or are trying to understand) it so early: if this waited until he was a teenager in crisis..just think! I'm pulling for you guys, Gus.