Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Oh the Places I Will Go

Wow, I have been given an oppurtunity to stat over. It's not often this happens. I get to decide what I really want to do when I grow up. Do I want to stay in my current industry and play it safe? Or do I want to do something new? I decided to start a list, put down what I want and what realistic.

Here's a list that's been flying around inside my little brain:

Emplyment Options:

  • Pharmaceuticals-Quality Assurance, Regulatory
  • Open a tutoring center
  • Open a bounce house place
  • Find a part time job doing something not sure what
  • Pet Walker/Sitter
  • Teach Science
  • Become a truck driver and hit the road with Molly (and maybe Kitty 9)
  • Government/State job
  • Green Job (Save those darn oily duckies)
  • Consultant-Business Analyst

Go back to school:

  • Teaching degree
  • Radiology Tech
  • Sonogram Tech
  • Public Health

Non-Emplyment Options:
  • Stay home with the boys
  • Move to a commune

What I would like to do:

  • I would like to stay home with my boys. I want to school them myself and teach them what I want them to know and what I think they should know. I want to have them learn a foreign language and sign language. I want to be able to take karate lessons and play soccer. I want to be able to give them a good life.
  • I would like to be able to teach young kids science and help them build a love and understanding of science.
  • I want to be help to continue raising money for cancer research.
  • I want to be able to not have to worry about bills and health care.

Reality:
I can't afford to not work. My family depends on me to provide for us. My salary is needed to pay the bills and I'm the one that provides the healthcare insurance. If it wasn't for insurance I could do exactly what I want to do for my family. I can not afford to not have health insurance. For some reason I seem to get crazy odd ailments that could and would bankrupt my family. I'm hoping never to get anything again but everyone who knows me knows House is based off my life or my children's(did anyone see the Henoch-Scholien Purpura episode????). So the reality is I need to work and need to get good benefits.

  • Does this mean I will need to uproot my family to stay in my industry?
  • Do I look for a new industry in this area?
  • Do I go work at Starbuck's part time and get benefits through them?
  • Do I find a commune and live happily ever after?
  • Do you go into teaching even though that is not a secure situation and still my not be able to work in my community?
  • Do I look into opening my own business?
  • Do I say screw it all and jump in a truck with my crazy dog and hit the road?

1 comment:

Jennifer W said...

Wow. This is WAY better than Facebook!! I wish I had read that in April. You ended up in the same industry, commuting, right??? You have no time to blog now, but if you do, I promise to read it!

Kidding aside, I feel the same pressure. I need to work, I bring home the benefits, and for awhile now I've had the only steady income in the house. It is incredibly stressfull, when all I want to do is spend time with my girl.

I'm glad you landed upright, it is a real gift in this economy to be able to do so.